Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Initial Thoughts

Even when you really want to do, have or accomplish something, getting started can be the biggest challenge. For me, starting a blog has seemed a natural response to my desire to reflect on my life. I am attracted to the written, editable, visual and accountable qualities that such a digital publication offers. However, I have felt this way for some time (at least 2 years) but have not acted until now. Why?

I recognize that I have certain beliefs about the way the world works; some more limiting than others. For years, I believed that blogs were just catchy little fly-by-night symposiums where people tried to make themselves out to be something special for the sole purpose of securing commercial ads and thereby monetary reward. I now know that there are at least a few other reasons. Personal motivators for blogging: writing, editing, reflecting, expressing, becoming more accountable for my thoughts and feelings. However I also know that community building can be an added benefit for others (and perhaps for me in the future).

For now, I will focus on becoming more accountable, which means that I will let go of some of my limiting beliefs, like the one that says that external sources (people, work, weather, etc) have power to affect the way I feel. Lately, I have had thoughts like “if only....then I would be happy.” Thankfully, I know this is a false statement. I know that it’s inner work that brings fulfilment. I have had fulfilled experiences before. I know some ways to get myself there. There is time and effort involved, but I know the reward and it’s worth it. I must remind myself, there is no final goal, so LIVE THE PROCESS.

No comments:

Post a Comment